Visualising interior space


Andy Sheridan, an Irish architect/photographer who has been fine tuning his technique of interior panoramas over the last few years. He uses a variety of software to stitch up to 30 images together to make these vast views. They are different to regular wide angle views in that they do not share the particular distortions associated with such lenses, there seems to be a more subjective distortion however that's based on point of view and format. In his own words:

".....I choose my location just the same as when I'm taking a single shot, except I'm picturing the overall composition when I am taking the individual shots...so, I'm watching out for potential leading lines and perspective and deciding where the the main subject will be located within the overall composition"

".......just like the eye moves to inspect a view the camera moves too, but with the photos you have the opportunity to see all those little views together - floors, walls, ceiling, top to bottom and side to side. It's inherently unnatural of course...in many cases the panorama contains far more information than your eyes can actually view at the one time.....Regarding scale, again it very much depends on the nature of the space and the result you get when you merge the image. For example the Pantheon shot, with it's exaggerated roof, gives an exaggerated sense of the scale of the building...especially when you spot the tiny individuals walking beneath it. With that shot I wanted to capture the drama of the ceiling ...it's the true subject of the shot. Generally it's not something that I deliberately manipulate. Usually I am trying to create a realistic representation of a space. Or more accurately I suppose I'm trying to create what I think is a realistic representation!"

David Hockney said that what differentiates photography from painting is that painting has so much time invested in it, the surface is worked. One of David Hockney's images below that has had some time, like Andy's, invested in it. Note the artist in the mirror (Van Eyck)


Sunday Morning, Mayflower Hotel, N.Y., Nov. 28, 1983

Collage of (approximately 140) chromogenic color prints
Approx. 116.0 x 184.5 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment